Volcano Inn | 19-3820 Old Volcano Road, Volcano, HI 96785-0963 | (808) 967-7773
Copyright© 1989-2016, Volcano Inn, Hawaii - All Rights Reserved | ajs Design
Our Big Island guide will save you time, so you can enjoy more.
We recommend that you focus your Big Island time in Volcano with short trips in all directions and one around-the-island day to see Kona. The only reason to stay in Kona is if you ONLY want to sit on the beach or by the *pool; which, by the way, is BETTER on any of the other islands as they are older, have much bigger, more extensive beaches, and more mature coral reefs.
Volcano is located on Hawaii's Big Island, at a cool 4000ft elevation, on the top of the active Kilauea Volcano, and is 1 mile outside of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park; nestled in a tropical Ohia and Hapu'u fern forest, so don't expect sand and coconut trees. Volcano is famous for its picturesque beauty and tranquility.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
• What to see and do at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
• Everything you want to know about Kilauea and it's caldera.
• Here is a nice map of the flows from Pu'u 'O'o.
Lava and Volcanic Activity
• This website provides the latest up-to-date information on
the recent lava flows, where the volcanic activity is
happening, safety precautions and viewing tips.
• Here is another website with up-to-date information about
volcanic activity in the park.
Hikers and Bicyclists
• For the best lava flow viewing experience, check out
Hawaii Exploration, they offer a steep discount for Volcano
• Where to bicycle in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park provides
information of where to go biking inside the Park.
• Here is a useful page on self-guided field trips in the park.
• Here is everything to know about Kipuka Puaulu also known
as Bird Park.
For Serious Bird Watchers
• Of course, there is the Audubon Society.
More Places to See
• Volcano is home to many talented artists, see some of their
work at the Volcano Art Center.
• Wine tasting in paradise is just a sip away at
• Treat yourself to 100% Hawaiian chocolate and more at
Aloha Candy Co.
Volcano is centrally located to explore the east side of the Big Island, which has more things to see and do than the west side of the Big Island.
30 minutes drive South of us towards South Point:
• popular black sand beach, and sea turtles
• delicious Kau coffee and macadamia nut farms
45 minutes drive South of us towards South Point:
• unique green sand beach
• scenic wind farm and cliffs into the beautiful ocean
• southernmost restaurants and bakery in the USA at
30 minutes drive North of us towards Hilo:
• Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo & Gardens is the only natural
tropical rainforest zoo in the United States.
• Mauna Loa is a famous macadamia nut farm and factory.
45 minutes drive North of us towards Hilo:
• Hawaii Botanical Garden nestled in a historical bay
• numerous waterfalls
• exciting sight-seeing via zip lines
45 minutes drive East of us towards Kalapana:
• active lava flows and steam vents
• relaxing warm ponds
• Lava Tree State Monument with unusual volcanic features
• excellent, cheap restaurants in Pahoa
You cannot come from Kona to visit Volcano in one day and return easily, but it is easier to see Kona in a day from Volcano. Kona is about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive from Volcano.
Playing with lava at Kalapana
Harpers - (808) 969-1478
Enterprise - (808) 933-9683
Alamo - (888) 826-6893
Avis - Toll Free 1-800-230-4898
Budget - (808) 935-6878
Dollar - (866) 434-2226
Hertz - (808) 935-2898
National - (808) 935-0891
Hawaii Exploration - (808) 640-3544
Bike Volcano - Toll Free 1-888-934-9199
Guided Day Treks - (808) 333-4016
Hawaii Forest & Trail - Toll Free 1-800-464-1993
Arnott's Hiking Adventures - (808) 339-0921
Hawaii Walkways - Toll Free 1-800-457-7759
Lava Ocean Adventures - 808-966-4200
Lava Boat Tours - (808) 938-3761
Big Island Kayak - (888) 210-5365
Ocean Eco Tours - (808) 324-7873
Jacks Tours - Toll Free 1-800-442-5557
Polynesian Adventure - (888) 206-4531
Roberts Hawaii - Toll Free 1-800-831-5541
Hele-On Bus - (808) 961-8744
Hawaiian Airlines - Toll Free 1-800-367-5320
Island Air - Toll Free 1-800-652-6541
Pacific Wings - (888) 575-4546
Mokulele Airlines - Toll Free 1-866-260-7070
The most frequent planning comments by guests staying at Volcano Inn, and are worth paying attention to:
1. We wish we had stayed more than one night.
2. Why did we stay one night in Hilo and one in Volcano,
when Hilo is only a 30 minute drive from Volcano?
3. Why did we fall for the one week deal in Kona when
everything we wanted to do was a 5 hour drive to the other
side of the Big Island?
4. Why are we double paying to stay in Volcano while we
have our time share/condo in Kona?
Petroglyphs Trail detail at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park